The time is upon us! The DC Pen Supershow is under way and we have worked tirelessly to put together pen boxes the Thursday evening before setup. We have boxes of goodies for adults and children alike, and giveaways planned that will blow your socks off. Multiple e-mails and donors later, we have what I think is the best set of items to give away. We are planning on drawing prizes about every two hours, so be sure to drop your name into our jar for the day! We will also have Fountain Pen Starter Kits for those of you who have friends, siblings, or family who are new to the hobby, and believe that they should be introduced! If you have a child, bring them up to our table, and request a Child's PIF Kit from Krystle, Denise or me, we will have specially selected introductory pens for children.
We are also planning to have a few games, that will be anywhere from "Guess that ink" to "guess how many ink samples are in a bottle" for those who would like an opportunity to win ink bottles! Please feel free to come visit us, to win a prize, to contribute to our Give a Pen, Take a Pen section, to try out a sample of Hippo Noto ink, or even just to say hi! We are available for all! I hope to see many smiling faces over the next few days, and that you enjoy the show!
I would also like to take a moment to recognize those who played major roles in orchestrating this event, of which I would not be able to bring you this amazing table without.
- Rachel Goulet: This idea stemmed from a smaller scale pay-it-forward table (more of a desk) that Rachel had hosted over at The Goulet Pen Company. I heard about this idea and immediately thought of scaling it up and trying to adapt the idea to the DC Pen Supershow. The Goulet pen family has been amazing in helping contribute supplies, support and time to making this happen
- Krystle Azer: When the plan began to form, Krystle was the first person to jump to the challenge of being a co-host for the Pay-it-Forward table, and providing samples and testing opportunities for all who wanted to try the Hippo Noto product line. Ever since then she has been an outstanding friend and co-host, whom I hope to host more event with in the future
- Denise Kelley: A great team member, friend and ink expert, one the best in the business! Denise volunteered to run the table as a co-host in the hopes that she would be able to arrive in DC for this year's Pen Supershow. She is quite definitely here and has been an amazing friend and co-host to work with, thank you for your dedication and hard work Denise.
- Brad Dowdy and Myke Hurley: The infamous PenAddict Duo, this group put the Pay-it-forward table on the map by mentioning us on their podcast. When this plan began to come into formation my initial worry was that we did not have the attention and that people were not aware of the event. The time, support and devotion that these two have shown have blown me away. Brad and Myke, if you are reading this I want you to know that you are both such amazing people, and that YOU, along with everyone else who has supported this organization in making this event happen are the ones that made this possible. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for everything you've done.
- Alexander Kramer: Has anyone ever looked at the emblem on top of the Pay-it-Forward posts? Alexander made that amazing emblem that is now used to find us at any and every pen show, and that will forever be known as the sign for any Pay-it-Forward events in the fountain pen community. Alexander, it is an amazing emblem and I am proud to have had the pleasure of working with you.
- Ana Reinert, The Olin family, J.C. Ament, and Jessica Coles: You were the first people I saw when I entered the Marriott hotel today, and you made me feel right at home. As an introvert, I was a bit shy but quickly came out of my shell. You all have been the best group of people I have ever worked with, and made an amazing team. Thank you for your hard work.
- Our Volunteers, Sponsors, Donors and YOU: Without you, this honestly would not have been possible. I am just so overwhelmed by the time, resources and support that you all have shown for this event. I am so glad that I am able to serve you and your families, and that you believed in me. I hope to make you proud every year as I continue to help spread writing paraphernalia to all. Thank you all so very much, you are all amazing and I can not thank you enough.